The town of Puy-l’Évêque, built on a rocky promontory more than 30 metres high, overlooking the Lot, is a site registered under the protection of historical monuments since 26 October 1944 and was placed in an architectural heritage protection area , urban and landscape on 14 June 1995.
Behind the 13th-century keep, the last remnant of the episcopal palace, the town offers beautiful ochre-coloured medieval houses as far as the quays where there was an active port, close to the craft quarters.
Between the vineyards and the Lot river, Puy-l’Evêque is at the heart of the Lot valley and the Cahors vineyards and its picturesque villages, Luzech, which has clung to both sides of a rocky isthmus since the early Middle Ages, Albas, suspended on the cliff, the prestigious castles of Grézels, Bouysses, or even Chambert or Cayrou.
History & Heritage
Originally called simply Puy or Puech or Puig, it was added to the diocese of Cahors in 1227. The bishop of Cahors, Guillaume de Cardaillac, took possession of the town in 1228 – during the crusade against the Albigensians – and gave it its current name: Puy-l’Evêque.
During the Hundred Years’ War, the English occupied it several times. It then took its final shape with its clustered habitat depending on the episcopal palace forming a castrum.
In the 13th century, the town stretched from the current town hall to La Cale, on the banks of the Lot, where Cahors wines were loaded. The river was the main means of communication, the barges, flat wooden boats, transporting goods from Puy-l’Evêque to Bordeaux.
Puy-l’Évêque offers many vestiges of a rich past
The keep from the 12th century , the last vestige of the episcopal palace. Magnificent stately homes with magnificent golden stones. The chapel of the blue penitents from the 15th century. The church of Saint-Sauveur, historical monument, from the 14th century . Rare fact, the religious building is far from the old centre,
The Calvary Cross , historical monument, from the 15th century in the cemetery,
The walk through the hanging gardens leads from the Place de la Truffière to the hold, a former port where ships moored, close to activities related to the transport of wine: bargees, nailers, sailors.
And many other riches and curiosities…